If you’re worried about whether or not your car will pass it’s MOT test, there are some easy checks you can carry out to help ensure you pass. An annual MOT test is a dread for some drivers as minor faults and issues can easily cause a fail. We recommend you do the following before bringing your vehicle along to our MOT test centre in Port Talbot:
- Air Fresheners – if you have one of those air fresheners that dangle down from your rear view mirror, it’s worth removing this as it can be deemed as blocking the driver’s vision, which is a fail.
- Number Plate Lights – this is an easy check. Your number plates MUST be visible at all times to ensure your vehicle is legal so if your number plate lights aren’t working, this could just be a simple bulb replacement.
- Seat Belts – if you struggle to pull out your seatbelt and buckle up when you get in your car, this could be because the seat belts are frayed and need replacing. If they aren’t clicking or too difficult to pull out, this is an MOT fail.
- Screen Wash – another easy thing to sort out! Purchase some screen wash from your local motor vehicle shop and fill up that fluid bottle.
- Reversing Lights – if your vehicle is newer than September 2009, you must have working reversing lights for your car to pass it’s MOT test, so make sure you check those bulbs.
- Fuel Cap Seal – check the rubber seal on your car’s fuel cap or flap. A strong smell of petrol or diesel is a strong indicator that this needs replacing.
- Number Plates – check for cracks on your number plates as one crack covering a letter could be an MOT fail.